Old Owen's Association and Sports Club Limited

  OOCC Spring General Meeting 26th March 2019 – Minutes

Old Owens Cricket Club Spring General Meeting 26 March 2019 – Minutes held at Old Owens Sports Club.

Start Time: 7.15pm

 

 Item

 Lead

 Action

1.

Welcome, attendance and apologies

Apologies:
Ricci Acchilini, Robin Gupta, Gavin Flook, Alan Hunter, Richard Baker, Emma Fazakerley, Kishan Changlani, Jim Clark, Rory Allan, Ralph Lane, Mark McKinstry, Lewis Hollett, Nama Paropkari, Mick Bungey, Chris Whitworth, Robert Sibley

Attendees:  Tim Lane, Shaun Flook, Brad Lane, Fiona Lane, Sharon Martin, Debbie Palmer, Ian Tyler, Tony Palmer, John Nelson, Ken Rowswell, Chris Palmer,

 

 

2.

Matters arising from Annual General Meeting

  • chasing up on non-payers – 3’s had some success

  • lunch & tea catering at home sorted

    evening with a Prem umpire  – didn’t happen but Brad to gauge the need, will probably discuss laws etc with team after a well attended net

 Shaun

Brad to ensure 1’s fully abreast of laws, regs and etiquettes in Championship

3.

Feedback from League AGM

All proposed changes were voted as to our preferences. 2’s and 3’s will start at 1.00pm and play 90 overs, 1’s play half 50/50’s (coloured clothing and pink balls) and half 120 over games (Special Dukes balls), wide rule did not change at any level and in lower divisions remains a gentleman’s agreement between captains (we will put indicative lines down), 1’s when playing away do not pay for teas

 Tim

 

4.

Accounts & Finances

  • Bakes gave apologies but provided the accounts, which were available to view but were not circulated prior to the meeting due to a problem sending emails from Play Cricket

  • Subs agreed at £100 or £50 (unemployed/young people).

  • We have £6170 in the account – committed to £5000 spend on junior cricket this year, so we are committed to raising £5000. VP letter has been sent to VP’s and in turn will be sent to all members offering opportunities to sponsor BBQ’s, balls, whole match day. Not getting an overseas player in the form of Dan St Clair.

  • The accounts were approved by the meeting and those present thanked Bakes in his absence.

 Tim

 

 5.

Captain’s updates

  • Brad – Nets been well attended, at least one new recruit from the Uni, one from Langford, one more from Haileybury, potential for some strong players for 2’s as 1’s squad should be a bit deeper, though no overseas.

  • Nothing from 2’s – Bats is captain and Naman Parapkari is vice captain

3’s – nothing to report – Ian pleased with what he heard about the higher 11’s and juniors

 Brad

 Ian

 

 6.

Junior Cricket

  • Jim Clarke, our Cricket Development Officer has been in to 13 schools and soon to start cricket days in some schools. Being paid £450 a month

  • 29 April = Junior Registration Day

  • Monday evenings will be juniors evening

  • Information on brilliant (thanks to Jordan Carter and Inner Media) new website oldowenscricketclub.co.uk as well as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

  • All members should read The Only Way Is Owens (TOWIO)

    There have been several well attended meetings about junior section and if anyone wants notes or more information they can contact Shaun

 Tim

 Shaun

 

 7.

Welfare Officer update

  • Sharon not yet able to approve online verification but has requested access and a list of online verifiers – SM will be here on juniors registration day (29 April)

Tim has a spreadsheet of all who have been checked and need checks etc

 Sharon

 Martin

SM to send out guidance & arrange to be accessible for all who need checking

 8.

Facilities and Grounds update

  • Ward Amenities started November 2018 – Edward Clarke (golf green-keeping experience) now employed by Ward and lives onsite, to be mentored by Rick Martin

  • Groundforce weekend is 20/21 April (with 27/28 if necessary)

  • Tim has taken delivery of a load of timber for the wooden sightscreens, which need to be painted etc this Saturday morning

  • New accessories for covers ordered

  • Football goals coming down on 15 April (Ralph coordinating)

  • With a £1000 grant from the Cricket World Cup Club fund we have extended the wi-fi, bought a printer/scanner and a laminator

  • Ground hire – Saturdays on pitch 2 when 3’s away will beFinchley 3’s, on Sundays Finchley Ladies will be on pitch 1, on Sundays pitch will be used by Archway Ladder and Rosslyn most Sundays, County Seniors playing again midweek and we are considering hosting County juniors.

Men’s toilets – was discussed at our AGM. No positive news. Budget  was £5000, quotes have been £18-20,000 so far, Tim has asked about the Association bond being drawn down but this has been decided against

 Tim Lane

 Duckworth Lewis display – slots to be created (Tim)

9.

Tour update

Sunday 26 to Tuesday 28 May. Hotel all booked. Around 20 in the tour party, including ample players for 2 fixtures. However, we have not yet got a fixture for the Sunday (Reepham is the Monday). Intention is to play golf Tuesday.

 Shaun

 Brad trying Saffron Walden,

Shaun trying all and sundry

10.

Fixture card

  • League starting 1 week later this year, on 11 May, ends 7 September

  • 27 April – 1’s home vs Cockfosters, rest of club intra club on pitch 2

  • 4 May – 1’s in T20, rest of club home vs Harpenden XI (thanks to Alan Hunter)

  • 19 May – Club Day – open day

  • Ralph has again offered to arrange a fixture vs the school

Naman has offered to try to arrange some Sunday matches if there is demand

 Tim/Fiona

Ralph/Fiona to have card printed off (and update VP’s list)

11.

Fund Raising / Social Events

  • Quiz night Friday 10 May arranged by Emma and Katie – £5 per person (£10 inc food), teams of 6, looking for 10 teams, bring friends and family, prizes

  • Family Activity Day – July or August Sunday

  • Inaugural Fantasy Cricket League – £20 per team, prizes, all funds to juniors

  • Tim has made connections with the Owens Parents Association and sponsored a race in a pending race night on behalf of the Junior section

Robin Gupta has kindly agreed to sponsor an entire match day (per Tim’s letter to VP’s mentioned above)

 

All to come to quiz and arrange teams

Chris Whitworth to deliver Fantasy League

12.

Cricket World Cup Club Weekend

  • Should happen during World Cup (30 May to 14 July) with 7-9 June recommended nationally

    Maybe amalgamate with Family Activity Day – ask Jamie George if Saracens can arrange a 6 a side on a Friday?

 Shaun

 Shaun to coordinate

13.

Any Other Business

  • VP lunch 5 April at The Mercer on Threadneedle Street – thanks to Mark McKinstry for arranging again

  • 100th anniversary in 2024 – plans already started, with Lisa Takahashi (Keith Freeman’s daughter) having agreed to paint the ground which will be available to buy as a print, Rob Sibley has agreed in principle to arrange a tour of the West Indies, a 2024 Committee will be set up in due course

  • Ian Tyler agreed to arrange a midweek game

Ken Rowswell proposed that player promotion and being dropped is confirmed verbally rather than via text / WhatsApp etc – the meeting agreed with this

 Shaun

Ian to arrange midweek game

Shaun to inform absent captains and vices about etiquette for moving players up & down XI’s

  Latest News

Old Owens Thai Food For 21-22nd May 2020

We are currently taking orders for Thai Food take away or local delivery only for the 21st & 22nd May 2020: [..]

Dame Alice Owens School Alumni Social Event – 25th April 2020

** CANCELLED **(Due to the Coronavirus) DAME ALICE OWEN’S ALUMNI & GUESTS ‘MEMBERS CLUB GRAND LAUNCH EVENT’  SATURDAY 25th [..]