OOASC Full Meeting 3rd December 2018 – Minutes
OLD OWENS ASSOCIATION AND SPORTS CLUB LIMITED
Minutes of the Committee Meeting on Monday 3rd December 2018 at 7.30pm
Present: T. Lane, V. Tanner, D. Webb, K. Rowswell, A. Ward, R. Martin, S.Martin, J. & L. Clark
- Appointment of person to take minutes for this meeting – SM
- Apologies for Absence – A. Hunter, A. Davison, P. Kennedy, I. Breeze, R. Hattrell
- Minutes of Meeting on 8th October 2018 – accepted as a true record.
- Matters arising from the minutes
- Potters Bar Eye advertising – to be followed up in the New Year (LC).
- U18s function – LC has followed up with a call; discussions to continue.
- Car park marking – two possibilities are a DIY job in the summer, or a contractor. AW told the meeting the paint would cost around £500. Work would need to wait until warmer, drier weather.
- Bungalow – TL had inspected the kitchen window and the door, which need replacing when funds are available, and are to be added to the ‘to do’ list.
- Bar and Catering (John/Lynn Clark)
- Manager’s update – in a better position than possibly was anticipated. Rotary Club may move (noise). December has started well, with lunches and Christmas dinners, and figures for the month will be better than this time last year. PBGC has closed, which may bring more custom to OO.
- Trading accounts (Monthly Sales) – December looking good, but expect January to be quiet; there are fewer football teams, and Sunday fixtures are reduced. Assurances to be sought on agreed commitments to OO.
- A rep for the Committee to be sought from PBFC. Current use to be reviewed, with more adult teams to be encouraged.
- JC has purchased 34 chairs, 4 tables and 5 stools for the bar area for £150.
- Forthcoming events – not discussed
- Owens School Functions at the Ground – see matters arising
- Rent Debtors – no information available (written off by IB?)
- Bank balance – not available; account summary to follow the meeting (TL)
- AD had spoken to Nicky at DAO re. available funds – £5K for 2019
- The bond could offer a potential draw down opportunity (£10K?). AW suggested the club consider seeking match funding (AW to research, and to seek pro bono support to help with application); the monies could then be used to fund the refurb of the men’s toilets. TL mentioned the possibility of interest free loans from the ECB.
- AD & DW to speak to JC & LC re. contract renewal (July 2019)
- The Ground
- Ground Manager update (Rick Martin) – grounds are looking good and are holding up very well. AW to be commended for his work.
TL asked re. Service agreement and contract between AW and OO to be confirmed shortly. Edward Clark to start working for AW and be go to person on grounds at OO.
Squares need to be verti-drained when dry, plus 1 tonne sandy rootzone. Rabbit man needs to come back (holes!). RM to explore possible solutions. Adjacent fields not being managed (contact DEFRA?)
TL asked about tyning of squares. RM confirmed already in March budget.
AW to quote for clearing ditches.
- Men’s WC Refurbishment – 2 quotes for the work have been received (around £22K). JC asked if the work could be phased. LC said it has a direct impact on function take-up. TL said it was the next priority as soon as funds are available. TL to see if he can get better prices on quotes.
- Pavilion Windows – £2,300 outstanding to Eamon. Fundraising followed up. The club appreciates that E is still out of pocket and so this item must be kept on the agenda and reviewed regularly.
- Membership (Alan Hunter) – via TL. Subs collected from 1/8/18 standing at £2417.50. Seven associated members chased by JC. 17 lapsed memberships.
- Zoo Club (Alan Hunter) – via TL. £49 owed to Eamon. Balance currently stands at £344.85. Prize draw to be held at next meeting.
- Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter) – via TL. All ok. Data Protection cookie tbf.
- Extraordinary meeting to discuss contract renewal to be held at a local but neutral venue (SM has offered Stormont School). Original date agreed at last meeting was 17.12.18, but some committee members are not available, therefore alternative date of 14.01.19 at 7.30pm proposed.
- Youth Development – avenues via DAO (contact to be made with Andy Nolan – Head of Cricket; AW to speak to Hannah Nemko, followed by delegation to meet with her?; ST on BoG) to be explored. Other avenues (Finchley Ladies, local school partnerships) also to be explored. Aim to have Junior Section (three teams / squads at U11, U13, U15) up and running by end of 2019 season, and ready for 2020.