OOASC Full Committee meeting 1st November 2021 – Minutes
Minutes of the Full Committee Meeting held on Monday 1st November 2021 at 7.45 pm
in the Les Williamson Room at Old Owen’s Sports Ground.
In attendance: I.Breeze(IB), Richard Hattrell(Richard), A.Hunter(AH), P.Kennedy (PK),
T.Lane(TL), P.Riley(PR), K.Rowswell(KR), V.Tanner(VT),
A.Welsford (Anna), John & Lynn (JLC)
(TL chaired the meeting with IB taking the minutes).
1. Apologies: Rob Hattrell, A.Ward(AW), D.Webb
2. Bar and Catering (John//Lynn Clark)
- Trading figures for Bar and Food were produced by JLC and numbers have improved since 2020.
(Thai Food sales do not show in the Food figures). Richard asked JLC for a copy of 2019 figures so that he could do a comparison.
- Progress has been slow but trade is gradually coming back. Business on Sundays is quiet as most Football teams are not coming into the Clubhouse after matches.
- Not many future functions have been booked. The recent Elvis night was good and there is a Fireworks night on the 5th November, the OOFC Race Nite on the 6th November and a Quiz Nite is planned for the 10th December.
- JLC are still thinking about Xmas opening hours which will be published in due course.
- TL mentioned that Cricket Teas might be back next season and that JLC should be ready for this as well as Lunches for the 1st XI Team required for half the games.
- JLC stated that they would be running the Bar for the Alumni Event on the 13th November at the School.
3. Matters arising from previous minutes 26th July 2021
4. Finance (Richard Hattrell)
- Richard presented figures as at 31st July 2021(end of financial year) and as at 31st October 2021.
- The combined balance at HSBC and Barclays presently stands at approx. £77,500. We have a surplus of £4,500 on our operations.
- The Investment Bond increased by 20% over the year.
- We are getting full rental payments from JLC.
- TL stated that Cricket rental fees for pitches 1 &2 will increase for 2022 and for 2023.
- Richard asked for bank details for Eamonn Dempsey to reimburse £1,711 owed for the Pavilion windows renovation (AH will contact Eamonn to get his details).
- Decision of the amount to be donated to the School by OOASC will be made at a later date.
5. The Ground (TL/IB)
- Replaced glass washer at a cost of £600.
- Cricket pitches both renovated by Bones at same cost as last year.
- Andy Ward Ltd did a good job in the Cricket season although sometimes there were machinery issues (i.e. Lloyds Wicket mower and Mastiff).
- Football pitch 1 not so good as Ed was unable to cut on 23rd Oct because no suitable working mower was available. Pitch now rectified with a rotary five deck mower.
- IB worried about the ground filling up when it rains (Regular aeration might help).
- Fascias and guttering needs doing (TL to send out quotes). PK mentioned that gutters were leaking all around the Pavilion (linked to fascias replacement). Desperately needs rectifying.
- Bungalow Window & Door, Rear Window & Main Entrance Door – quote received from Fineline £9,637 and Character Windows £4,600. PR to ask for quotes for the Main Door from contacts.
- Pitch 1 watering point repair.
- Cricket Square perimeter drainage – very wet areas as water runs off the square puts games in jeopardy.
- 2 new Sightscreens are needed – no decision made.
- Electric shower in umpires/referees changing room 8 needs replacing as thermostat has failed ( IB to sort).
- Possible Sale of Tractor & Gang Mowers – not at the moment.
6. OOASC Sports Clubs
6.1 OOFC Football Section (Paul Kennedy)
- PK reported that OOFC are running 5 sides on a Saturday but the Vets are struggling to get sides out on Sundays and there is a possibility that they might fold as a result.
- A lot of ex PBUFC and DAOS youngsters are involved in the lower teams.
- Football training at the School on a Tuesday at 8.15 pm is well attended.
- The Football Club has introduced the ‘Square’ payment system for this season.
- PK asked if Food can be provided for the Home teams after games as more players are staying.
6.2 OOCC Cricket Section (Tim Lane)
- 1st XI reached the Championship Play off vs West Herts CC. The 2nd XI were champs of Division 7A and consequently go up 2 divisions to 6A. The 3rd XI finished 4th in Regional Division B East.
- Winter nets are starting tonight 1st November at the School for both Juniors and Seniors.
- OOCC AGM is on Thursday 4th November 2021 at 7.00 pm.
- OOCC Dinner is on Friday 26th November 2021 at 7.30 pm.
6.3 Affiliated Clubs (Phil Riley)
- PBU are not using the Club socially as much as previously. Potential to have outdoor catering on Saturday/Sunday mornings is being lost at the moment. Could PBUFC step in and provide a service and OOA share profits? PR to ask PBU.
7. OOASC Membership (Alan Hunter)
- £5,173 subscriptions collected up to 31st July 2021 (280 paying members, total 501 members).
- £1,915.50 subscriptions paid so far from 1st August 2021 by 121 members..
- Anna suggested introducing a payment system to collect subscriptions e.g ‘Stripe’. A discussion ensued.
8. Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter)
- No problems with the Website which is updated as and when necessary .
- AH provided the statistics for the website as at 01/11/2021 as follows:
Last 7 days there were 575 visitors with 2,011 visits
Last 30 days there were 2,320 visitors with 9,611 visits
Last 365 days there were 31,165 visitors with 135,575 visits.
9. ZOO Club (Alan Hunter)
- At 1st November 2021 there is £692 in the account with £100 due to be paid to Valerie Cross who won the May draw (Valerie has just responded so a cheque will be sent out to her).
- The prize of £25 awarded to W.Sutter in the July draw was not paid as he was no longer a member of the Zoo Club.
- A draw was made and the winner for November is £50 to Dave Greenshields (Ball number 12)..
10. Owenians Alumni(Anna Welsford)
- Anna said that there was nothing to report at the moment except for a reminder of the Alumni Event on Saturday 13th November 2021 at the School.
- Scrap van owned by Terry Franklin is still parked at the entrance to the Ground. It has been mentioned to him but nothing can really be done and the situation remains very awkward indeed.
12. Date of next meeting
- Meeting ended at 21.40 pm.
- Next meeting (TBC).