OOASC Full Committee meeting 19th February 2020 – Minutes
Old Owen’s Association & Sports Club Limited
Minutes of Full Committee Meeting on Wednesday 19/02/20 at 7.30pm (Ground)
- In attendance: I.Breeze(IB), S.Flook(SF), Richard.Hattrell(RH), A.Hunter(AH), P.Kennedy(PK), T.Lane(TL).
(The meeting welcomed the attendance of Mrs Anna Welsford, the Alumni Officer at DAOS).
- Apologies: Robert Hattrell, PhilRiley, K.Rowswell, V.Tanner, A.Ward, D.Webb, John and Lynn Clarke.
- Matters arising from previous minutes:
- John and Lynn still required to sign the new Contract.
- Still need to put up warning/responsibility signs in car park (re: thefts from cars).
- Bar, Catering & AOB:
Written report from John and Lynne Clark in absentia.
- Bar and Food figures produced for 2019 showed an increase of 2% on 2018.
- Bar and Food figures for January 2020 showed an increase of 11 % on January 2019.
- February so far has been a tough month with lots of football matches called off due to storms and rain.
- Elvis Night (6th March) and Quiz Night (20th March) have been arranged. These have always proved popular.
- John and Lynn raised the poor condition of the timber extension to the bungalow (damp and mould). IB has arranged for a builder to advise on the costs of either repair or complete dismantling.
- The electrics in the wooden extension have been made safe by GT Electrics, who are also looking at the power supply to the light at the gateway area. (It was also pointed out that a new gateway notice is needed as the present one is a poor reflection on the Association).
- There are also five exterior lights on the Clubhouse not working that GT Electrics may be able to assist with.
- No accounts were available to the meeting due to DAOS half-term.
- RH to contact Mrs Nicki Culhane at DAOS to provide exact figures and circulate.
- HSBC are making slow progress with arranging for IB to be another signatory on the account (TL to pursue).
- Also we are still attempting to pay Andrew Ward (Grounds Contractor) monthly via direct debit and this should imminently be active.
- The Association continues to owe E. Dempsey £1,760 for the Pavilion windows refurbishment.
- The Ground:
- IB reported that the ground itself has been suffering from the wet weather and a couple of football weekends in February have been completely washed out.
- The mixer unit on the showers has been serviced and an electric shower in the Officials room replaced at a total cost of £300.
- The catch nets and three of the 6m poles on pitch 1 have snapped and been replaced at a cost of £1,100.
- A BT Open Reach van backed into the height barrier and we are seeking two quotes from Essendon Forge and Cosmur Ltd to send to the van insurers.
- OOASC Membership:
- Since 01/08/19, £2,400 has been collected for annual memberships. There will be more subscriptions to come before the year end 31/08/20 especially from the Sports Clubs (e.g. OOFC approx. £1,500).
- There were 13 lapsed members (mainly retirees). AH to try and check, if possible.
- AH to liaise with Anna to cross reference the OOASC database (names only) for Old Owenians members (i.e. Full & Life) with the Alumni database to try and determine if OOASC members are deceased.
- ZOO Club:
- Balance as at 20/02/2020 is £389.
- AH handed out Membership Forms to join the Zoo Club (annual membership is £24).
- The draw was made (aided by Anna) and the two winners were as follows;
£25 – G.Flook
- Old Owens Website:
Last 30 days there were 6,624 visitors with 17,516 visits
Last 365 days there were 39,086 visitors with 150,650 visits.
- OOASC Sports Clubs:
PK reported that we are running 4 x Saturday teams and 1 x
veterans Sunday team and stated the season has been a tough
one for the teams as a whole. The last football weekend is
IB is supporting Ben Rowswell with setting up a junior girls
Wildcats” section of the Football Club.
Well attended winter nets have now commenced at Herts
University, Hatfield (2nd/3rd XI) and Haileybury School (1st XI). The
Junior section is netting at Lochinver House School on Monday
evenings and intend to organize league teams at under 9,11,12’s for
The adult Cricket season commences with friendlies on the 25th
April (1st XI) and the 2nd May (2nd/3rd XI) with league games starting
on the 9th May and ending on the 5th September.
TL advised that Saturday cricket bookings for the ground are
completely full (i.e. Old Owens & Finchley 3’s) but is awaiting
confirmation bookings from Sunday teams.
Phil Riley in absentia stated that there is nothing significant to
report with regard to Potters Bar United F.C.
- Charity Commission DBS requirements – Richard H has been in touch with the Commission with regard to their request for DBS checks for the Association (i.e. trustees, committee members, volunteers, staff). RH is awaiting a reply from the Commission and will advise the Committee when received.
- Alumni Links – Anna Welsford explained her role at the School and emphasized the importance of forging links with the OOASC and the work she is doing with DAOS past pupils. Anna is keen to incentivise the use of OOASC facilities and to build a relationship and is also looking forward to organising various events, the first of which will be the DAOS Alumni ‘Grand Launch Event’ at the School on the 25th April from 7 pm – 1 am.
AH advised Anna that the Launch event has been included on the
Association website and notices for the event have been sent to Old
Owenian members from the Association database.
Meeting closed at 9.10 pm.
Next meeting is scheduled for Monday 06/04/20 at 7.30pm (Ground).