Old Owens Association and Sports Club Limited
Minutes of the Full Committee Meeting on Wednesday 26th August 2020 at 7.30pm in the Main Hall at Old Owen’s Sports Ground.
- In attendance: I.Breeze(IB), Richard Hattrell(RH), A.Hunter(AH), P.Kennedy(PK), T.Lane(TL), P.Riley(PR), K.Rowswell(KR), John and Lynn Clark (JLC)
(TL chaired the meeting with IB appointed to take the minutes).
- Apologies: S.Flook, Rob Hattrell, V.Tanner, A.Ward, D.Webb
- Matters arising from previous minutes 20th July 2020
- JLC signed the new Contract dated July 2019 for 3 years with a 5% year on year increase. The contract was countersigned by TL. Covid-19 has affected the contract for the time being as payments received from JLC currently stand at 33.3%, which was agreed at a previous meeting.
- Bar and Catering (John/Lynn Clark)
- Managers update – Covid-19 has affected bookings. Many Customers have been asking about bookings but JLC have explained that it is a restricted ‘no go area’ at the moment. JLC had a Funeral wake last week with a maximum of 30 people attending. The return of Cricket and Football activities are keeping things going along with the selling of Thai Food on several evenings, which is helping them to get by at the moment.
- Trading accounts (Monthly Sales) – None presented.
- Forthcoming events – No bookings have been made due to Covid-19.
- Bungalow repairs – JLC to contact electrician for a quotation.
- Finance (Richard Hattrell)
- RH presented the Accounts and stated that the accounts processed at the School (Nicky Culhane) would be better and easier if it was posted on SAGE.
- Bank balance is £58.1k plus approx. £2k in the Barclays account. The surplus for the year ending 31st July 2020 is approx. 15k (includes the Covid-19 grant of 25k received).
- RH advised that the outstanding rent for Feb/March 2020 has been paid by JLC with a shortfall of £500 to be paid. Tansley & MHSFA still owe pitch hire rent (IB to chase).
- RH liaised with David Wainman of Brown & Shipley who confirmed the valuation of the Investment Bond at 31st July 2020 is £174k an increase of £1.3k on the value at 31st July 2019. The original investment was £170k and we have taken money out for refurbishing toilets etc. Richard also pointed out that we will be paying fewer fees now as our knowledge of the workings of the Fund has grown.
- Statutory Accounts has been signed off by our auditors Baxter & Co. (Copies held by RH & TL).
- RH will try and do an assessment on Finance to see where we will stand at the end of 31st July 2021.
- The Ground (Tim Lane)
- Ground is green & lush at the moment. Ed Clark has done a great job in preparing the squares for Cricket which is nearing the end. The usual end of season repairs to the ground will be approx. £2.5k.
- Rabbit control – TL to contact Mark Morris (Commercial Pest Control) with regard to a 6 month trial. Cost quoted was £100 per month.
- Changeover from Cricket to Football should be available on the 13th Ed Clark to be consulted.
- PK to organise legionnaire’s check and to run all showers.
- Wood Fire claim – To be paid £2,200 from Windsor Insurance, plus Shed £650 plus Tarmac. TL pointed out that we might be able to claim for the wood that we lost if we could get a quote for 2 tons of logs. RH has not seen any payment from the Insurers as yet (TL to chase).
- Club signage – JLC to get a quote to supply/fit entrance sign as per our exact requirements.
- Pavilion Clock – Clock now in place (Thanks to TL for fitting) and the Freeman family have paid £400 towards the cost. Awaiting the plaque (approx. £85) which is currently being processed.
- OOASC Membership (Alan Hunter)
- £4,575 collected for subscriptions for the membership year ending 31st July 2020, from 45 Associate & 134 Full members (both include Cricket members) and 82 from the Football Club. There are 19 Honorary & 201 Life members giving a total of 481 members. There have been 14 lapsed members during the year mainly from previously retired members.
- ZOO Club (Alan Hunter)
- Eamonn Dempsey was sent a cheque for £49 to clear the outstanding amount held in the account for the Pavilion Windows (Eamonn is still owed £1,711 for the windows project).
- The balance as at 24th August 2020 is £420.
- A prize draw was held with the 1st prize of £75 won by Gavin Flook and 2nd prize of £25 won by John Cardall.
- Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter)
- AH is updating the website on a regular basis.
- AH provided statistics for the website as follows:
Last 7 days there were 1,246 visitors with 4,629 visits
Last 30 days there were 5,217 visitors with 20,180 visits
Last 365 days there were 50,658 visitors with 191,620 visits.
- OOASC Sports Clubs
10.1 OOFC Football Section (Paul Kennedy)
- Adult Football at Old Owens will commence on 19th September 2020 with restrictions on changing rooms and after match activities (A plan will be put in place before the start). There will be 4 Saturday teams and a Sunday Vets team and there will be staggered kick-off times. Pre-season friendlies are already in progress.
- A match has been scheduled at Old Owens on 3rd October for a Cup Final between Norsemen and the winners of Polytechnic and Nottsborough.
10.2 OOCC Cricket Section (Tim Lane)
- TL reported the season has been going well with all the teams and availability has been very good although a few games have been lost due to the weather. TL stated that new players have joined which bodes well for next season if all remain.
10.3 Affiliated Clubs (Phil Riley)
- PR reported that Potters Bar United were having their AGM tomorrow evening and that some of the ‘Old Guard’ in charge are stepping down and new people are getting involved. Lots of kids want to play for PBU but at the moment there are not enough coaches available.
- None was raised.
- Date of next meeting
- Meeting ended at 20.52 pm.
- Next meeting scheduled for Wednesday 14th October 2020 at 7.30 pm (Ground).