Category Archives: Reports

OOASC Full Committee meeting 19th February 2020 – Minutes

Old Owen’s Association & Sports Club Limited

Minutes of Full Committee Meeting on Wednesday 19/02/20 at 7.30pm (Ground)

 

  1. In attendance: I.Breeze(IB), S.Flook(SF), Richard.Hattrell(RH), A.Hunter(AH), P.Kennedy(PK), T.Lane(TL).
    (The meeting welcomed the attendance of Mrs  Anna Welsford, the Alumni Officer at DAOS).
  1. Apologies: Robert Hattrell, PhilRiley, K.Rowswell, V.Tanner, A.Ward, D.Webb, John and Lynn Clarke.
  1. Matters arising from previous minutes:
  • John and Lynn still required to sign the new Contract.
  • Still need to put up warning/responsibility signs in car park (re: thefts from cars). 
  1. Bar, Catering & AOB:

    Written report from John and Lynne Clark in absentia.

  • Bar and Food figures produced for 2019 showed an increase of 2% on 2018.
  • Bar and Food figures for January 2020 showed an increase of 11 % on January 2019.
  • February so far has been a tough month with lots of football matches called off due to storms and rain.
  • Elvis Night (6th March) and Quiz Night (20th March) have been arranged. These have always proved popular.
  • John and Lynn raised the poor condition of the timber extension to the bungalow (damp and mould). IB has arranged for a builder to advise on the costs of either repair or complete dismantling.
  • The electrics in the wooden extension have been made safe by GT Electrics, who are also looking at the power supply to the light at the gateway area. (It was also pointed out that a new gateway notice is needed as the present one is a poor reflection on the Association).
  • There are also five exterior lights on the Clubhouse not working that GT Electrics may be able to assist with.
  1. Finance:
  • No accounts were available to the meeting due to DAOS half-term.
  • RH to contact Mrs Nicki Culhane at DAOS to provide exact figures and circulate.
  • HSBC are making slow progress with arranging for IB to be another signatory on the account (TL to pursue).
  • Also we are still attempting to pay Andrew Ward (Grounds Contractor) monthly via direct debit and this should imminently be active.
  • The Association continues to owe E. Dempsey £1,760 for the Pavilion windows refurbishment.
  1. The Ground:
  • IB reported that the ground itself has been suffering from the wet weather and a couple of football weekends in February have been completely washed out.
  • The mixer unit on the showers has been serviced and an electric shower in the Officials room replaced at a total cost of £300.
  • The catch nets and three of the 6m poles on pitch 1 have snapped and been replaced at a cost of £1,100.
  • A BT Open Reach van backed into the height barrier and we are seeking two quotes from Essendon Forge and Cosmur Ltd to send to the van insurers.
  1. OOASC Membership:
  • Since 01/08/19, £2,400 has been collected for annual memberships. There will be more subscriptions to come before the year end 31/08/20 especially from the Sports Clubs (e.g. OOFC approx. £1,500).
  • There were 13 lapsed members (mainly retirees). AH to try and check, if possible.
  • AH to liaise with Anna to cross reference the OOASC database (names only) for Old Owenians members (i.e. Full & Life) with the Alumni database to try and determine if OOASC members are deceased.
  1. ZOO Club:
  • Balance as at 20/02/2020 is £389.
  • AH handed out Membership Forms to join the Zoo Club (annual membership is £24).
  • The draw was made (aided by Anna) and the two winners were as follows;

            £75 –E.Fosbrook

            £25 – G.Flook

  1. Old Owens Website: 
  • AH stated that the website is running without any problems, is up to date with the relevant information and will be revamped with new images. The privacy settings/cookies policy is to be updated on the website.
  • Statistics for the website as at 20/02/2020 are as follows:

     Last 7 days there were 2,213 visitors with 4,928 visits

           Last 30 days there were 6,624 visitors with 17,516 visits

           Last 365 days there were 39,086 visitors with 150,650 visits.

  1. Privacy policy:
  • AH has been looking at the draft privacy policy documentation provided by Alan Davison. AH advised that the OOASC does not require a Data Protection Officer, but we do need a Data Protection Compliance Manager (volunteer needed), to be compliant with GDPR regulations. AH to send the revised documentation for checking to RH, TL and SF.
  1. OOASC Sports Clubs: 
  • Football section report:

          PK reported that we are running 4 x Saturday teams and 1 x 
          veterans Sunday team and stated the season has been a tough
          one for the teams as a whole. The last football weekend is
          18/19April 2020.

          IB is supporting Ben Rowswell with setting up a junior girls
          Wildcats” section of the Football Club.

  • Cricket section report:

         Well attended winter nets have now commenced at Herts
         University, Hatfield (2nd/3rd XI) and Haileybury School (1st XI). The
         Junior section is netting at Lochinver House School on Monday
         evenings and intend to organize league teams at under 9,11,12’s for
         season 2020. 

         The adult Cricket season commences with friendlies on the 25th
         April (1st XI) and the 2nd May (2nd/3rd XI) with league games starting
         on the 9th May and ending on the 5th September.

         TL advised that Saturday cricket bookings for the ground are 
         completely full (i.e. Old Owens & Finchley 3’s) but is awaiting
         confirmation bookings from Sunday teams. 

  • Affiliated Clubs report:

          Phil Riley in absentia stated that there is nothing significant to
          report with regard to Potters Bar United F.C.

  1. AOB:
  • Charity Commission DBS requirements – Richard H has been in touch with the Commission with regard to their request for DBS checks for the Association (i.e. trustees, committee members, volunteers, staff).  RH is awaiting a reply from the Commission and will advise the Committee when received.
  • Alumni Links – Anna Welsford explained her role at the School and emphasized the importance of forging links with the OOASC and the work she is doing with DAOS past pupils. Anna is keen to incentivise the use of OOASC facilities and to build a relationship and is also looking forward to organising various events, the first of which will be the DAOS Alumni ‘Grand Launch Event’ at the School on the 25th April from 7 pm – 1 am.

         AH advised Anna that the Launch event has been included on the 
         Association website and notices for the event have been sent to Old
         Owenian members from the Association database.

Meeting closed at 9.10 pm.

Next meeting is scheduled for Monday 06/04/20 at 7.30pm (Ground).

OOASC Full Committee meeting 19th February 2020 – Agenda

There will be a meeting of the Full Committee on Wednesday 19th February 2020 at 7.30pm in the Les Williamson Room at Old Owen’s Sports Ground.

Agenda

  1. Appointment of person to take minutes for this meeting
  2. Apologies for Absence
  3. Minutes of Meeting on 7th October 2019
  4. Matters arising from the minutes
  1. Bar and Catering (John/Lynn Clark)
  • Managers update
  • Trading accounts (Monthly Sales)
  • Forthcoming events
  • Bungalow Roof repairs
  1. Finance
  • Update (Richard Hattrell)
  1. The Ground
  • Ground update (Tim Lane)
  • Shower Mixer Unit (Ian Breeze)
  • Catch net and poles main pitch (Ian Breeze)
  1. OOASC Membership (Alan Hunter)
  1. Zoo Club (Alan Hunter)
  1. Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter)
  1. OOASC Sports Clubs
  • Owen’s Football Section (Paul Kennedy)
  • Owen’s Cricket Section (Tim Lane)
  • Affiliated Clubs (Phil Riley)
  1. Privacy Policy (Alan Hunter)
  1. AOB
  • Charity Commission DBS checks (Richard Hattrell)
  • Dame Alice Owens School Alumni (Anna Welsford)

 14. Date of next meeting

OOASC Full Committee Meeting 7th October 2019 – Minutes

Old Owen’s Association and Sports Club Limited

Minutes of Full Committeee Meeting, Monday 07/10/19 at 7.30pm

In attendance:  P.Kennedy (PK) , D.Webb (DW), I.Breeze (IB), K.Rowswell (KR) Richard Hattrell (RiH), T.Lane (TL), A.Hunter (AH), Rob Hattrell (RoH), Vincent Tanner (VT), John and Lynne Clarke (JLC).

Apologies:  A.Ward (AW), S.Flook (new ordinary member), P.Riley (PR).

Matters arising from previous minutes:

Tansley FC has fully paid up the monies owing for rent.

10% increase in rents across the board has been advised to all football hirers.

Contract for JLC still to be signed off (The increase is 2% year on year up till 2022).

A lot of safety work around the ground has taken place, but old playground yet to be dismantled.

TL again requested a mid-season review with Ward Amenities (AW).

Report from John and Lynne Clarke:

Bar and Food monthly figures produced which are down approx. £1300 on the corresponding month last year. Not many enquiries for lettings. JLC will investigate ways to advertise. JLC to consider booking a tribute band (e.g. UB40) to see what response is achieved.

The front entrance lights to the Ground need investigating and a remedy? Quotes to be acquired by JLC and IB.

Forthcoming events are as follows:
Fireworks Night on Friday 1st Nov. 2019.
Xmas Quiz on Friday 20th Dec. 2019

Finance: 

HSBC bank balance as at 7th October 2019 presently showing £46,909.54

HSBC have asked for an update review on the Account by Dec 2019 (TL to liaise with HSBC).

Balance of £2,817 in the Barclay’s account as at 7th October 2019, which needs new signatories and a legal requirement to take Stan Gould’s name off the login procedure.

It was unanimously agreed to pay our Grounds contractor (AW) monthly via Direct Debit.

TL to check the o/s balance owed to the School.

The pavilion windows – £1,760 is still owed to Eamonn Dempsey.

The Ground:

  • Ground renovations have been completed
  • Ditch has been cleaned.
  • Car park still overgrown and messy down the wood yard side.
  • Vermin still an issue – digging holes in pitches.
  • Need signs making people aware of thefts.
  • Need dummy CCTV cameras at lower end of car park.
  • Need non responsibility notices x 2.
  • We have received interest from Ward Amenities to erect a grounds storage shed for tools. AW has been invited to present his vision & proposal.

Membership:

AH stated that income from subscriptions so far this year from 1st August is £2,149.

There are currently 14 Lapsed numbers which AH is investigating.

AH to liaise with Anna Welsford regarding Life members.

ZOO Club:

Balance on the account as at 7th October 2019 is £384.35.

The draw was made and the two winners were as follows;

£75 – Jim Everton

£25 – John Cardall

Old Owens Website:

AH has kept this running and up to date.

AH produced statistics for the website as follows:

Last 7 days there were 638 visitors with 3,463 visits

Last 30 days there were 2,910 visitors with 13,205 visits

Last 365 days there were 36,859 visitors with 158,551 visits.

Sally Tanner has been paying monthly, annually & bi-annually payments for our website (www.oldowens.com) and the meeting agreed to switch this outgoing payment to the Association.

Football section report:

OOFC – Running 4 x Saturday teams and 1 x veterans Sunday team.

The 3rd XI and Vets are currently top of their Divisions.

The Football Club has a new Treasurer to be assisted by Jon Robinson (secretary).

OO Cricket section report:

OOCC 1st XI team managed to win 5 matches and comfortably remain in the Championship division. It has been a big learning experience.

The 2nd & 3rd teams have been relegated (Divisions not yet known).

The Junior Section is thriving with 55 youngsters (including girls) taking part in regular Monday practices. It is gratifying to see several players and supporters assisting in running these sessions.  The Cricket Development Officer (Jim Clark) has been a massive asset and OOCC fund raising has paid for his expenses.

Next season U9, U11 and U12 teams are entering the Herts Colts League and there is hope for a mixed age group U12 girls’ team.

Affiliated Clubs report:

PR in absentia reported that he had nothing to bring up at the moment for Potters Bar United.

Privacy policy:

AJD has sent a rough working draft as a base to work on to apply for the Association.  AH to have a look. When completed and agreed it will be put on the website.

Any Other Business:

Shaun Flook was proposed by AH and voted onto the Committee as an Ordinary Member.

DW stated that the Harold Moore luncheon is due to take place on Thursday 31st October at 1pm and was hoping that some of the Committee members could partake.

Meeting closed at 8.56 pm.

Next meeting provisionally scheduled for Monday 02/12/19 at 7.30 pm.

 

OOASC Full Committee Meeting 7th October 2019 – Agenda

There will be a meeting of the Full Committee on Monday 7th October 2019 at 7.30pm in the Les Williamson Room at Old Owen’s Sports Ground.

Agenda

  1. Appointment of person to take minutes for this meeting
  2. Apologies for Absence
  3. Minutes of Meeting on 12th August 2019
  4. Matters arising from the minutes
  1. Bar and Catering (John/Lynn Clark)
  • Managers update
  • Trading accounts (Monthly Sales)
  • Forthcoming events
  1. Finance
  • Update (Tim Lane)
  1. The Ground
  • Ground update (Tim Lane)
  • CCTV (Ian Breeze)
  • Company enquiry to build steel equipment shed (Ian Breeze)
  1. OOASC Membership (Alan Hunter)
  1. Zoo Club (Alan Hunter)
  1. Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter)
  • 1and1 Hosting (monthly & annual payments)
  1. OOASC Sports Clubs
  • Owen’s Football Section (Paul Kennedy)
  • Owen’s Cricket Section (Rob Hattrell)
  • Affiliated Clubs (Phil Riley)
  1. Privacy Policy (Alan Hunter)
  1. AOB
  2. Date of Next Meeting

OOASC Full Meeting 12th August 2019- Minutes

Old Owen’s Association and Sports Club Limited

Minutes of Full Committeee Meeting held Monday 12/08/19 at 7.30pm at Old Owens Sports Ground

In attendance: T.Lane (TL), I.Breeze (IB), S.Flook (SF), R.Hattrell (RH),
                            A.Hunter (AH), P.Kennedy (PK), Phil Riley (PR), K.Rowswell (KR),
                            V.Tanner (VT), John Clarke (JC), Lynn Clark (LC).

Apologies:       A.Davison (AJD), A.Ward (AW), D.Webb (DW), A.Welsford (Awe).

Matters arising from previous minutes:

JC has obtained the rent due from the Wood yard and a payment of £1,200 has been made. The remarking of the car park has also been completed.

Report from John (JC)  and Lynn Clarke (LC):

Bar and Food figures for July is down compared to last year. JC explained that this was due to the bad weather encountered during the month which has resulted in some of the cricket matches being cancelled and has also kept away other users of the Club. July was also affected by holidays. LC stated that we lost the Rotary Club who used the premises on a regular basis so food sales are significantly down. LC said that there are currently not a lot of bookings due to the current holiday period but hopes this will pick up from September onwards.

TL advised JC that the Cleaner needs to attend to the gents toilet and changing room 1, more diligently.

JC & LC are absent from the 20th August for a week and will be covered by Graham, Michael and Jazz whilst they are away. 

Finance: 

OOASC Investment Fund value is £168K as at 30th June 2019 and is growing by 3.5% a year.

Bank balance is £43,000 as at 12th August 2019.

The Profit & Loss showed a loss of £783 due to all the refurbishments that took place.

IB advised that Tansley Vets owes £150 for last season which will be paid shortly.

TL pointed out that there will be an increase of 10% to all football clubs hiring the ground and half the payment should be paid in October with the remainder paid in February.

A new contract has been arranged between the Association and JLC at 5% increase up to 2022 (JLC to sign)

Richard Hattrell is to rejoin the Committee as Treasurer taking over from Derek Webb, which will include tasks for producing the Charity & Tax returns. Richard was proposed by TL and seconded by Paul Kennedy.

The Ground:

TL will seek a mid-season review with Andrew Ward (Ward Amenities) who is currently unwell.

Rent collections for Cricket will be done by TL and IB to do Football rents.

Ed Clark will be away from 20th August 2019 for a week so ground duties will be covered by Rick Martin. 

Football season recommences at the ground on 14/09/19 so the Football Club will have a work party on Monday 9th September for putting up goalposts etc.

PR stated that the ditches at the ground require clearing and that Potters Bar F.C. are a bit concerned with regard to health & safety. TL asked PR to get some quotes.

RH asked if anything is going to be done to the children’s playground with regard to health & safety. He suggested either fencing it off or ripping out the dangerous items, IB to talk to Ed Clark to see what can be done.

TL stated that the Cricket Nets will need revamping at some point for the Junior Section.

Membership:
Income from subscriptions from 1st August 2018 to 31st July 2019 is £4,892 (This amount represents 279 paying members). Lapsed members were 13 (mainly £7.50 memberships).

Honorary Membership is 20 and Life Membership 203 giving a total membership of 502.

IB asked if we had details for Life Members. AH stated that we had some details but was unsure if Life members were still around. AH to liaise with Anna Welsford to compare the Association Life members with the Alumni membership to try and determine if Life members are still around.

ZOO Club:
Balance in the account is £326.35 as at 12th August 2019.

No draw was made.

Old Owens Website:
AH has updated content on the website as and when and is up to date.

AH reported on the statistics for the website (back-end) as follows:

Last 7 days there were 551 visitors with 2,048 visits.

Last 30 days there were 2,379 visitors with 9,774 visits (Average visitors for most websites is 1,000 i.e. 5 clicks a day).

Last 365 days there were 36,859 visitors with 154,214 visits.

AH to report on the statistics on a frequent basis to compare increases or decreases.

Football section report:

Old Owens F.C. are running 4 Saturday teams and 1 veterans Sunday team next season. IB hopeful that some new players will be joining the 1st XI next season. 

PK advised that pre-season training has started with pre-season games to follow shortly.

The Club has a new sponsor from a playing member in the 3rd XI.

The football nets need checking before the season starts.

Potters Bar United F.C. – PR stated that nothing is happening at the moment.

Cricket section report:

RH stated that all 3 Old Owens teams are struggling in their respective leagues with all the teams finding it hard to put runs on the board to give them a chance of winning games.

TL pointed out that the Junior section is flourishing with a total of 55 juniors which include a number of girls.

The U11 juniors recently played Winchmore Hill U11 at softball and beat them by 30 runs.

TL stated that we are looking to run U11, U10 & U9 sides for next year starting with softball with the aim to progress to hardball matches.

The juniors are not being charged this year but will be charged next season with parents having to join as Association members.

Privacy policy:
AJD will have a look at the Privacy policy requirements in August and will advise the Committee of the requirements.

Any Other Business:

TL advised that IB is to become a signatory for cheque payments.

Meeting closed at 9.05 pm.

Next meeting scheduled for Monday 07/10/19 at 7.30 pm.

OOASC Full Meeting 12th August 2019 – Agenda

There will be a meeting of the Full Committee on Monday 12th August 2019 at 7.30pm in the Les Williamson Room at Old Owen’s Sports Ground.

Agenda

  1. Appointment of person to take minutes for this meeting
  2. Apologies for Absence
  3. Minutes of Meeting on 24th June 2019
  4. Matters arising from the minutes
  1. Bar and Catering (John/Lynn Clark)
  • Managers update
  • Trading accounts (Monthly Sales)
  • Forthcoming events
  1. Finance
  • OOASC Investment Fund update (Alan Davison)
  1. The Ground
  • Ground update
  1. OOASC Membership (Alan Hunter)
  1. Zoo Club (Alan Hunter)
  1. Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter)
  1. OOASC Sports Clubs
  • Owen’s Football Section
  • Owen’s Cricket Section
  • Affiliated Clubs
  1. Privacy Policy (Alan Davison)
  1. AOB
  1. Date of next meeting

OOASC Full Meeting 24th June 2019 – Minutes

Old Owen’s Association and Sports Club Limited

Minutes of Full Committeee Meeting held Monday 24/06/19 at 7.30pm

In attendance:   A.Davison(AJD), P.Kennedy(PK), I.Breeze(IB),
K. Rowswell, R.Hattrell, T.Lane (TL), A.Hunter (AH), Phil Riley (PBUFC rep), John and Lynn Clarke (JLC).

Apologies:  V.Tanner, R.Martin(RM), S.Martin(SM), A.Ward(AW),        D.Webb(DW).

Matters arising from previous minutes:

In the absence of action by AW, car park remarking quotes to be obtained by JLC.

Report from John and Lynne Clarke:

Bar and Food figures produced were very encouraging. Food is down because people prefer to bring their own. Functions are regular and forthcoming events will be advised by JLC.

All the Clark family will be away in Croatia for a family wedding 20-27 Aug.

Finance: 

OOASC Investment Fund value – £163K.

AJD to circulate details of finances.

OOASC bank balance presently showing £38k.

All rent payments are up to date apart from the Wood yard (i.e.£1500) – JLC to chase. Possible sanctions to be implemented to restrict parking by the Wood yard if rent is not paid.

Thanks to DW and AJD for renegotiating another 3 year contract between OOASC and JLC.

The Ground:

  • RM has now resigned from his post as Grounds manager. Thanks to Rick for his efforts were expressed. (Rick will continue to oversee the cricket grounds until the end of season i.e. September)
  • TL requested a mid-season review with Ward Amenity.
  • Football recommences at ground on 14/09/19.
  • Mens’ WC refurbishment now complete (thanks to TL and Cosmur Construction).
  • The pavilion windows – £1760 is still owed to Eamonn Dempsey.

Membership:
Income from subscriptions so far this year which ends 31/07/19 is £4738 (This amount represents 272 paying members). Lapsed members so far this year are 9 which are being chased by AH. The total membership is 500.

ZOO Club:
Balance in the account is £332.

I new member has joined. AH on a recruitment drive to add new members.

A draw was made and the three winners were as follows;

1st prize £75 – Alan Droy

2nd prize £50 – W.A.Sutter

3rd prize £25 – B.F.Clifton

Old Owens Website:
AH has kept this running, and the privacy settings/cookies policy updated.
AH to contact Anna Welsford regarding inclusion of link to Old Owens website from the school OSA website and publication of our membership benefits etc

TL asked AH if he could have a look at the back-end of the website to check and report on hits.

Football section report:

Old Owens F.C. – Running 4 x Saturday teams and 1 x veterans Sunday team next season. IB hopeful that some new players will be joining the 1st XI next season. 

PK advised that Old Owens were nominated for an FA Grassroots County Award 2019, sponsored by McDonald’s and we won the ‘Grounds Team of the Year’ category from the Amateur Football Alliance.

Potters Bar United F.C. – Report given by Phil Riley who explained that PBU were in a resurgent phase. Lots of young kids joining  and sponsorship via McDonalds .They have increased their small sided teams and are now paying approx 30% more rental to OOASC next season.

Cricket section report:

Old Owens C.C. 1st team are presently finding it tough after being promoted to the Herts Championship but  successfully registered their first win last Saturday at Leverstock Green.

The Junior Section is thriving with 38 youngsters taking part in regular Monday practices. It is gratifying to see several players and supporters assisting in running these sessions. Cricket Development Officer (Jim Clark) is now going into at least six of the local junior schools and building up links.

Privacy policy:
SM has now resigned from her safeguarding and privacy policy post and the meeting thanked her for her efforts on behalf of the Association. AJD will have a look at the Privacy policy requirements in August and will advise OOASC.

Any Other Business:

After being on the committee for a period of 4 years, AJD has now resigned. Thanks were duly expressed (particularly from TL, who was extremely grateful for the way in which AJD stepped up to Chair of OOASC when TL had pressing work commitments.)  

Meeting closed at 8.37pm.

Next meeting provisionally scheduled for 05/08/19 at 7.30 pm.

OOASC Full meeting 24th June 2019 – Agenda

There will be a meeting of the Full Committee on Monday 24th June 2019 at 7.30pm in the Les Williamson Room at Old Owen’s Sports Ground.

Agenda

  1. Appointment of person to take minutes for this meeting
  2. Apologies for Absence
  3. Minutes of Meeting on 4th April 2019
  4. Matters arising from the minutes
  1. Bar and Catering (John/Lynn Clark)
  • Managers update
  • Trading accounts (Monthly Sales)
  • Forthcoming events
  1. Finance
  • OOASC Investment Fund update (Alan Davison)
  • Rents
  1. The Ground
  • Ground update
  • Men’s WC Refurbishment
  1. OOASC Membership (Alan Hunter)
  1. Zoo Club (Alan Hunter)
  1. Old Owens Website (Alan Hunter)
  1. OOASC Sports Clubs
  • Owen’s Football Section
  • Owen’s Cricket Section
  • Affiliated Clubs
  1. Privacy Policy
  1. AOB
  1. Date of next meeting

OOASC AGM Meeting 13th May 2019 – Minutes

OLD OWEN’S ASSOCIATION AND SPORTS CLUB LIMITED

MINUTES OF AGM HELD AT COOPER’S LANE on Monday 13th May 2019.

Meeting commenced at 19.35 pm.

1. Tim Lane was appointed Chair for the meeting:

In attendance: Tim Lane (TL chair), Ian Breeze (IB), Alan Davison (AJD), Rob Hattrell (RH), Alan Hunter (AH), Paul Kennedy (PK), Fiona Lane (FL), Rick Martin (RM), Hannah Nemko (HN), Ken Rowswell (KR), Derek Webb (DW).

2. Apologies for absence:

David Bent, Grahame Ciombor, Janet Cunningham, Peter Cunningham, Eamonn Dempsey, Adrian Dolling, Alan Flook, Gavin Flook, Sean Flook, Robin Gupta, Bill Hamilton-Hinds (WJHH), Sharon Martin, William Read, Grace Rowswell, Anwar Sardiwalla, Alec Spencer, Douglas Sutton, Sally Tanner, Vincent Tanner, Andrew Ward.

3. Minutes of the AGM held on 16th May 2018:

The Minutes were approved and seconded by PK.

4. Matters arising from the AGM Minutes:

    i)   The Financial Accounts Statements for year ending 31st July 2017  were signed off a week after the AGM.

    ii)  All equipment except the Gang Mowers are now stored away under lock and key for safety reasons and to prevent vandalism. The Gang Mowers are taken to a safe place onsite for storage.

    iii) Associate members were assured that they are now allowed a say  on matters since the Association has become a charity.

5. Chairman’s Report:

TL gave a report for 2018/2019.

Achievements

a)  Two new members joined the Committee i.e. Rick Martin as Grounds Manager and Sharon Martin as Safety Officer dealing with all safety and compliance issues.

b)  The Groundsman Chris Langley left last September and instead of replacing him the Association has entered into an agreement with Ward Amenities as the Grounds contractor for any work to be done under the watchful eye of Rick Martin. Ward Amenities is run by an ex-pupil of the school, Andrew Ward. The ground is continually hired out to numerous football & cricket clubs, notably Potters Bar United and Finchley Ladies Cricket Club and the extra income received is very valuable to us. The Ground is a picture at present due to the efforts of Andrew Ward, Rick Martin and other helpers.

c) The Pavilion Clock was repaired thanks to a donation from the Cricket Club.

d) The Clubhouse Pavilion windows refurbishment was completed which has made a considerable difference to the appearance to the Clubhouse. Thanks to member Eamonn Dempsey for all his efforts in leading and completing the project.

e) The Clubhouse is regularly used socially by our members and their friends with events such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings and wakes. We also cater for darts matches, quiz nights, tribute nights, fireworks night, ladies fashion events, card nights, art sessions, other Clubs meetings & reunions.

f) Works have started on refurbishment to the Gents toilets which will be completed in the next couple of weeks.

g) The website continues to grow in content and hits.

Objectives

a) Continue to grow our membership and hopefully stronger ties with the school can help achieve this. HN was in agreement with having stronger ties between the School & the Association.

b) Try and encourage more female participation and all suggestions to the Committee is welcome.

c) Encourage members to join the Committee especially younger and female ones to bring more thought, ideas and numbers on the Committee.

d) A long term strategy for the disused tennis courts needs to be discussed.

e) The Car park lines need remarking.

f) The Contract for the current managers John and Lynn Clark expires in July 2019 so re-negotiation is required.

6. Financial Report and presentation of accounts:

i) The Financial Accounts for the year ending 31st July 2018 were signed off.

ii) TL pointed out that the Accounts do not really show a true position as the figures shown are for the year ending 31st July 2018. There is currently £55k in the OOASC bank account.

iii) AJD will provide an update of the Investment Bond performance at the next committee meeting on Monday 24th June 2019.

iv) AJD is concerned at our recent spending on capital assets such as the changing rooms, ladies toilets and now the gents toilets being refurbished. As a result we have been spending more than we have
been getting in. AJD stated that we need to try and keep spending to a minimum and to generate more income. He suggested looking at increasing Rents for all those concerned.  

v)  TL pointed out that all required repairs & ground works will have been done. No further works is planned unless there is an extreme emergency so there will be a surplus in the Bank.

vi) HN proposed that OOASC should keep finances stable for the next 2 years to which everyone agreed.      

TL thanked Nicki Culhane at DAOS for all her work with the accounts.

7. Board of Directors:

i) Sally Tanner resigned as a director but was immediately re-elected to the board.

ii)The Directors were re-elected ‘en bloc i.e. AJD, IB, WJHH, PK, TL, ST, VT, KR, DW.

iii) No new Directors were proffered for election.

8. Election of Officers:

Proposal of Officers by TL seconded by KR.

The elected Officers for 2019/2020 are as follows:

Chairman                                         – Tim Lane                         
Vice Chairman                                 – Ian Breeze   
Secretary                                         –  Alan Hunter
Treasurer                                         – Derek Webb
Membership Secretary                    – Alan Hunter 
Website Administrator                     – Alan Hunter 
Ground Manager                              – Rick Martin
Safety/Compliance Officer              – Sharon Martin
Zoo Club Secretary                          Alan Hunter
Football Club Representative         – Paul Kennedy
Cricket Club Representative            – Rob Hattrell
Potters Bar United F.C. Representative – Phil Riley
Ordinary Members                           – AD, IB, WJH, TL, ST, VT, AW
Accountants                                      – Baxter & Company

9. AOB:

Cricket Section

i) RH reported that the new Cricket season had just started with the first round of games played last Saturday in the Saracens Herts League. The 1st XI Team is playing in the Championship Division for the first time after being promoted from Div 1 last season. The 2nd XI is playing in Div 7A and the 3rd XI is playing in Div 10B after being promoted from Regional Div A East last season. The point was made that we need to try and get the 2nd XI closer in divisions to the 1st XI to help with the progression of players between the two teams.

ii) TL reported that the Cricket Club has just recently reintroduced a junior section for players aged 4-15. We currently have 18 mixed age players at present and have a recruitment drive in place led our new Development Officer, Jim Clark who is being paid by the Cricket Club. The Cricket Club has already covered half of Jim’s salary via Quiz Night, OOCC Fantasy Team competition and donations so progress on all fronts is going very well.

iii)  TL stated that the Cricket Club will be organizing a ‘Cricket Family Fun Day’. This is being scheduled for a Sunday in June (possibly 16th or 30th) but confirmation and further details to follow. HN has requested that once everything is finalized can she have some flyers to distribute at Owens School.

Football Section

i)  PK reported that the season just finished was a quite a successful one. Matches were played on Saturday. The 1st XI had their highest league position for a long while and had recruited some new players. The 2nd XI reached the Old Boys Cup Final but lost. The 3rd XI reached the AFA Cup Final but lost. The 4th XI did the double of League & Cup. The Vets reformed and played on Sunday mornings in an 8 team league.

ii) PK reported that Phil Riley had agreed to replace Steve Reid as Potters Bar United F.C. representative on the Association Committee. Phil was subsequently proposed and seconded on to the Committee.

iii) IB reported that he was looking to increase rents (i.e. 10%) for Non-Owens Football teams for next season.

iv) DW asked about Women’s Football Teams at the Ground. Everyone agreed it was definitely an avenue to explore. HN will notify the School Alumni via Anna Breeze who has just joined the School.

General

i) Fiona Lane asked HN about the Association liaison with the School. Hannah confirmed that the Sixth Form parties at Owens Ground have been stopped, but she will encourage the Owens School Association (OSA) to hold more events at the Sports Club. There now seems to be more of a link between the OOASC and the OSA which should benefit both parties.

ii) AJD informed the meeting that the Wood yard have not paid the rent for parking in the Car Park. The issue will be discussed at the next Committee meeting.     

Meeting closed at 8.40 pm.

Next Committee meeting Monday 24th June 2019 at 7.30 pm.

OOASC AGM Meeting 13th May 2019 – Agenda

Agenda for Annual General Meeting

Monday 13th May 2019 at 7.30 pm

  1. Appointment of Chair for the meeting.
  1. Apologies for absence.
  1. Minutes of the AGM held on 16th May 2018.
  1. Matters arising from the AGM minutes.
  1. Report from the Association Committee.
  1. Financial report and presentation of accounts.
  1. In accordance with section 32 of the Articles of Association one-third of directors must retire from office. According to the schedule this will be:- Sally Tanner 
  1. Re-appointment of directors. In accordance with article 35 no person other than a director retiring by rotation may be appointed a director at any general meeting unless:

a.    He or she is recommended for re-election by the directors; or

b.    Not less than 14 or more than 35 clear days before the date
        of the meeting, the charity is given a notice that;

                           i.   Is signed by a member entitled to vote at the meeting;
                       
                           ii.  States the member’s intention to propose the 
                                appointment of a person as a director;

                           iii. Contains the details that, if a person were to be 
                                appointed, the charity would have to file at Companies
                                House; and

               c.   Is signed by the person who is to be proposed to show his
                     or her willingness to be appointed.

  1. Election of Officers.

             Chairman
             Vice Chairman
             Secretary
             Treasurer
             Membership Secretary
             Website Administrator
             Ground Manager
             Safety Officer
             Zoo Club Secretary
             Football Club Representative
             Cricket Club Representative
             Ordinary Members
             Accountants

  1. AOB